Today I’m eating crispy skin BBQ chicken drumsticks on the Big Green Egg. This is an easy recipe that can be done on any gas or charcoal grill as long as you can set your grill up for indirect cooking.
Cooking the meat at a higher temperature is the secret to getting crispy skin. The fat in the skin will fry and you’ll have juicy, tender meat underneath.
Prepare the BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
First, get your grill set up for medium-high indirect cooking at 450 degrees. On a Kamado-style cooker, use a grate extender to get the chicken higher in the dome. If you don’t have a grate extender, use the same temperature guide, but turn chicken every 10 minutes until done.
Next, season the chicken on all sides with your favorite BBQ rub. I like to use one with only a little sugar in it due to the high-heat cooking. Today, that means Fox Bros. BBQ rub.
The Cook for Crispy Skin BBQ Chicken
Then, once the grill is up to temp, place the chicken on the grates with the skin side up, close the lid and cook untouched for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, flip the chicken and rotate if there are any obvious hot spots. Continue cooking for 20 more minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165-170 degrees using an instant-read thermometer.
The skin will be lightly charred and crisp. If you want, brush your favorite BBQ sauce onto the drumsticks in the final 5 minutes.
Finally, remove the drumsticks to a platter and let rest 10 minutes before serving.
This is a classic BBQ preparation for chicken. Use whatever rubs you have, or a combination of salt, pepper, granulated garlic and paprika.
I like to serve the chicken with grilled asparagus and mac and cheese. It also goes well with grilled corn.
This BBQ chicken drumsticks recipe gets you all the flavors of BBQ with the crispy skin of oven-baked. It’s is a real crowd pleaser. It’s perfect for cookouts and backyard BBQ parties.
- 3 pounds chicken drumsticks
- 1/4 cup your favorite BBQ rub. I used Fox Bros. BBQ rub.
- Prepare grill for indirect medium-high heat cooking at 450 degrees.
- Season chicken liberally on all sides 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Place chicken on the grill and cook, close the lid and cook for 20 minutes.
- Flip chicken and continue cooking for 20 more minutes.
- Use an internal food thermometer to check the temperature of the chicken drumsticks. They are done when they reach 165-170 degrees.
- Remove chicken to a platter and let rest 10 minutes before serving.
- If using a Kamado-style cooking (Big Green Egg) Use a grate extender to get the chicken high in the dome.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 drumsticks
- Calories: 350
Keywords: Drumsticks, BBQ, Big Green Egg