Today I’m eating a childhood classic of mine in upstate New York: Grilled Italian sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions on the Big Green Egg.
You can make the sandwiches over any charcoal or gas grill. Heck, you can even cook them entirely in a cast iron pan on the stovetop, and they would still be delicious.
But when you grill over lump charcoal, it allows the drippings to hit the hot coals, reincorporating all that flavor.
An added bonus is being able to grill the peppers and onion in a cast iron pan on the grill as well. Everything about these sandwiches screams festival time in Upstate New York.
Prepare the Grilled Italian Sausage and Peppers and Onion
Get your grill fired up for direct cooking over medium heat (350-400 degrees). Set the cast iron pan on the grill grates while the grill heats up, so everything is ready to go when you are.
Use hot or sweet Italian sausage, which can be store bought.Prick them a couple times with a toothpick so they don’t explode on the grill.
Cut three bell peppers of varying colors into strips. Slice one sweet onion in half through the root, peel and slice into half-rings. Put the peppers and onions into a medium bowl.
Once the grill is up to temperature, pour a couple tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil into the preheated cast iron pan.
Next, dump the peppers and onions into the pan. Then, place the sausages directly on the grill grates.
Cook, frequently stirring the peppers and onions and turning the sausages.
The total cook should take 10-15 minutes. The sausages will be lightly charred and brown, while the peppers and onions soft, but still have some integrity.
Finally, remove sausages to hoagie rolls or hot dog bus and top with peppers and onions.
Serve immediately with whatever additional condiments you like. I prefer yellow mustard.
A festival favorite: Grilled Italian Sausage Sandwiches with peppers and onion.
- 5 Italian sausage links (hot or sweet)
- 3 bell peppers, sliced in 1/4-inch thick strips
- 1 large sweet onion
- 5 hoagie rolls or hot dog buns
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350-400 degrees). Set cast iron pan on grates while grill is heating.
- Once the grill is up to temperature, add the olive oil and peppers and onion to the cast iron pan.
- Place Italian sausages on directly on the grill grates.
- Cook, frequently stirring the peppers and onion and turning the sausages, for 10-12 minutes. The sausages should reach at least 160-degree internal temperature. They will be brown and slightly charred when ready. The peppers will be softened, but maintain their integrity.
- Remove the sausages to hoagie or hot dog rolls and top with peppers and onion.
- Serve immediately with your favorite additional condiments. I like yellow mustard on mine.
- Category: Pork
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 400
Keywords: Italian sausage sandwich, Italian Sausage, Sausage, Big Green Egg, Recipe